Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Balancing Busy

"Keeping busy is good for you"; "a busy mind is a happy mind"; "staying busy keeps you from getting into trouble". That's what I have heard anyway; but are these statements correct? Whether it is volunteering, working overtime at your job or even indulging in those creative hobbies, being busy can become too much and too overwhelming if you are not careful.
I used to think that keeping my schedule busy and doing more, working more, volunteering more, was a good thing. Turns out, it wasn't so great for me.
Doing more than one thing, wearing multiple hats so to speak, is at certain times a necessity in life, and being productive and active can be healthy even, but you have to be able to find that fine line that keeps you balanced. Balancing work to life is important. Taking the time to relax, taking a breather and kicking back is a critical part life.

People sometimes like to keep busy so that they don't have to 'think' about certain things, but thinking and working out issues and being able to 'let it go', is something that the mind and body needs. Not doing this can be unhealthy and lead to burn out.

Finding that balance on our own can be hard to do. We all need a little help; there is nothing wrong with that. We need to turn "keeping busy" into "keeping okay". But there is the trick, finding the right kind of busy and then knowing how much one can handle without feeling overwhelmed. When it rains it pours, and it seems that it is either too much or not enough.

There have been times in my life where I think I have gotten there and found that balance, but when I start going off track I can't quite remember the recipe on how I got to my 'okay' place to begin with. (Maybe it was just blind luck that got me there.) I'm learning though that it is okay to hit the re-set button on ones life and take stock of what is really necessary to be 'okay'. Unfortunately, life doesn't slow down when you do this.

"Beware the barrenness of a busy life." ~ Socrates

No comments:

Post a Comment