Saturday, July 16, 2011

Giving

"I give so much more than I get" ~ Michael Buble

Writing this blog popped into my mind this week after my home town suffered a tragedy that has left over 100 people in this small community in dire need and homeless. A fire broke out and destroyed apartment units in a townhouse building complex in the early hours of a Monday morning. Thankfully no one was seriously injured, but much was lost.
People of this town have united with donations of all sorts and are trying to help put those affected back on their feet. Food, clothing and financial aid have been thrown into the pot along with a scheduled fundraiser. The tragedy is sad, but the helping hands are a joy to see.

I wrote a dissertation a while ago, "Breaking Down Barriers & Walking the Path of Accessibility". It is about my life and dealing with my disability, and maybe somewhere along the line my eyes really opened up and I grew an extra heart, (although literally I don't think that would happen; mind you, read my short story called "Heart Beats") and in my dissertation I wrote a chapter (Chapter 8 Pg 28) titled "Extended Hand" where I refer to a dream of mine to be a philanthropist. Donating, volunteering and even just simply taking the time to listen to others or sharing a smile or hug is so refreshing. It is nice to see that when hands are reaching out there are others reaching back. In minuscule ways that most of us don't even think about, we do ALL kinda' live for each other.

The line I wrote to start off this blog by Michael Buble, I know is from a song about finding love, but I think maybe those words apply to my communities event and many more like it. For various reasons people, somewhere, are always in need. I know that times are tough for everyone, and I'm not saying to be giving always, all the time, (We're all busy) or donating everything from the kitchen sink to emptying your bank account. (That's not realistic) But in a way I think we should all give more than we get; because I think sometimes too many of us are cerned about "getting".

No comments:

Post a Comment